Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Generation

Is the most recent generation too reliant on the internet and media? That is a good question, and one that I don't think is black and white. While some people are able to use the internet as a tool for productivity, I fear this is a small group. The majority of this generation gets it's news from the Colbert Report, and wouldn't know how to spell if a little red line didn't come up every time they get it wrong. The main reason that I believe people are too reliant on the internet and media is because they don't know how to function without it. If one day the internet got "turned off," the world would be running around like a chicken with it's head chopped off. People don't know how to do simple functions or even go day to day without the internet. What happened to the simple things in life? I don't entirely blame the generation for their addiction. This is what they grew up knowing, a world where this is the norm. It is the previous generation that has paved the road for us, and put the systems in place. What did you think would happen? But life moves to fast to consider the future, what is more important is how much money we can make now. Maybe I'm just ranting, but if something doesn't change, I'm scared for the next generation.

1 comment:

  1. I'm scared for the next generation too. Mainly because I think they are spending so much time "wired in" to their Facebook pages, iPhones and Twitter feeds that they're distracted from their studies. And so, in a world where education matters more and more, the next generation of Americans will be much less educated than previous ones.

    ReplyDelete